Sunday, August 24, 2014

Freezer Jam Sunday. Easy recipe any Retro Housewife can make.

Homemade Strawberry Freezer Jam

Freezer Jam became popular in the 1950's when larger freezers became available to housewives. Of course freezer jam became preferred over canning in the hot summer months while fruits were ripe. This was my first attempt at making it and I opted for Strawberry Freezer Jam.


I am preparing to fill our large freezer with food for the winter. Since I am the housewife I am in charge of all the cooking of course and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Freezer Jam can be made with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, cherries, peaches and much more. The berries can be fresh or the frozen kind and even pre-canned like peaches. Drain the juice of course.

Freezer Jam can be frozen for up to a year. Take out a jar and put it in the refrigerator for it to thaw for use. Don't leave it at room temperature or it will spoil.

Here's the simple 4 Ingredient recipe:

2 Cups Berries
4 Cups Sugar
3/4 Water
1 Box of Pectin (1.75 oz)



Mash 2 Cups of Berries

Add 4 Cups of Sugar to Berries. Mix well. Let Sit for 10 minutes.


Get your Jars or Containers with lids ready. You will need a funnel for easier pouring. 

Mix the pectin with the 3/4 cup of water in a saucepan on the stove. Heat to boiling for one minute.
Pour boiling pecton mixture in to berries/sugar mix.
Stir well and let sit for 3 minutes.
Pour final mixture into jars/containers. Make sure to leave up to an inch for expansion of berry mixture in freezer. 

Let sit for 24 hours and then freeze. 

That's it! Easy and any Retro Housewife can do it!

I am planning on making wild blackberry jam too. We went blackberry picking with the family this afternoon. Woohoo! Even though they would be more ripe in about a week we were able to get 2 cups. Nothing like FREE berries for a vintage recipe.



These will soon be delicious jars of Blackberry Freezer Jam ready for a long Winter.

Thanks for reading!

Happy Housewifing.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this recipe! You can also do this with figs to make a type of fig preserves. I made some about three years ago and they were a success! I love your blog and am so glad you are posting again! I found you about a month or so ago and have been eagerly waiting for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      Thank you for following along. I decided to really give this blog a go and Summer was a little too fun and I just kept putting it off. I would love to try figs. I don't know if I have ever seen them for sale up here in Maine. I bet I could get them in the canned isle? Thanks for sticking around. It makes me happy someone like yourself is here. Hugs, Jenn

      Delete