Thursday, September 18, 2014

1950's Tunes, Mid Century Housewares and My Failed 30 Day Blog Post Challenge.

Here I am back after my failed 30 blog post challenge. I'm glad no one had money bet on it. Yikes! Gee wiz it was harder than I expected. I suppose it showed me that I shouldn't bite off more than I can chew. So here's my new challenge. Just write more post's challenge. My husband suggested at least once a week. Let's try that shall we. I have added a 1950's Recipes Section, My Vintage Closet, and a 1950's music video section.


Well this morning I am busy as usual. I have music filling the house. For now YouTube compilations of 1950's music. There's something about having the decor of the house be the setting from the 1950's and adding the music with it. If I am having a "slow to get started" day I just pop some of those awesome tunes in and I am on my way.

Earlier this month Big Daddy (my hubby) and myself acquired some great Mid Century furniture. We started frequenting country auctions this Summer and have had a blast. We have really found some great pieces to decorate our home. It seems we are the only ones interested for circa 1950's to early 60's things that come up for auction. It's been a real steal for us. Big Daddy call's it "Atomic Rescue".

Although most pieces have dings and scratches they are worth bringing home and restoring. Below are some of the things we have won at auction and throated this past Summer.

1950's United Starburst Clock

1950's Phillips TV Set (It Work's) 

1950's Atomic Lamp (I hate the modern shade) Will be replacing it!

Late 40's-50's Atomic Wire Lamp with Fiberglass Shade. (Have the set but the other doesn't have a shade yet)

Zenith - Z290 Stereo Cabinet and Radio - The sound is amazing. Record player is sticky..(repairs? YES) Ashtray and Teak, Space Age, Mid Century Lamp with Original Shade.

Vintage 1950's Pyrex

More Starburst and Melmac Sugar Bowl

Mid Century Side Table, Books and Nut Dish

Early 1960's Zenith (Solid State) Record Player - Mid Century Danish Legs and Styling

Jello Molds and Mccoy, Hull and Shawnee Vintage Planters


My Favorite Table Set Ever!!

Atomic Lamp

Jello Mold


Vintage Books

Vintage Kitsch and Melmac

Vintage Metal Key and Letter Holder. 


Mid Century Cabinet

Blonde Mid Century Chair. I think I will recover it although it's in great shape.

Vintage Clothes Hamper - First thing I won at an auction. lol

Mid Century Pole Lamp. It was difficult to get a good photo of it. All of the Planters are from the 1950s. Shawnee and Lane.


I had to steal this photo from my instagram. I love pastel melmac/melamine. This is Airline and Boonton and Boontonware.


Thanks for reading Guys and Dolls.







7 comments:

  1. Oh my! I don't even know if I can pick a favorite from all your fantastic finds...they are ALL Fantastic! wow! wow! wow! Congrats on all your marvelous treasures.

    I love Melmac and received a set for my wedding. My husband does not understand the draw but I do. They are fantastic!

    Lovely post :)

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I think I would choose the Kitchen table. It's actually dated for 1963. We got very lucky finding that for a steal. I also adore melmac. I still need a butter dish. Lol

      Delete
  2. Your decor is over-the-moon incredible! I went through all the photos three times, "ooohing and aaahhhing" over each of them to the point of a genuine swoon. Thank you for sharing your inspiringly incredible mid-century abode with us, dear gal.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time out to post a comment. You are quite a busy gal. We continue to collect things not really having a spot for them. It will all fall together. Still looking for a perfect 1950's couch. Next project is painting the dark panelling. Yikes!!

      Jenn

      Delete
  3. Love the decor! I was so glad to see your post pop up in my feed! Like we say in my classroom, it's cool if you "fall off the bandwagon", just pick yourself up and try again! Can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great comment to see. I am now in the keep trying phase. I admire you being a teacher. I could not do it. I have 5 children. Two are now out of the house but that's all I could handle. I hope to write more. Without the daily pressure I feel like I want to write all day long. Lol

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ADORE your collection! I've been working on my own for a few years now. I'll have to take some pics to put on my blog someday! Can't wait to see what else you find!

    ReplyDelete