Saturday, February 8, 2014

1957 Special Valentine Family Dessert Recipes

Valentines Day is coming up and I have found some very affordable and uncomplicated recipes  What better place to find 1950's recipes than looking through my vintage Ladies Home Journal magazines. These particular recipes come from the June 1957 issue.

Crown Jewel Jell-O

I'm not usually a big fan of Jell-O but I saw this wonderfully colorful and fluffy dessert and I was drawn in. 



Pretty Simple and of course pink. 

As it says... When you want a really special treat to draw admiring "ohs" from your guests.. Try this elegant new Jello-O gelatin dessert. 

The Recipe

Prepare seperately a package of Raspberry, Lime and Black Cherry Jello-O , using 1 Cup hot water and 1/2 Cup cold water for each. Pour into 3 shallow pans and chill until firm. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes. 

Next, make the fluffy filling by heating 1/4 cup sugar with 1 cup of canned pineapple juice to boiling. Dissolve 1 package of Strawberry Jell-O in the hot liquid. Add 1/2 cup cold water. Chill until just syrupy. Whip 2 cups cream and fold it into the syrupy Jell-O. Fold in the little jello cubes. 

Now, line two 9-inch pie plates with ladyfingers (or maybe vanilla wafers) about two packages and pour in the Jello-O mixture. Chill about 4 hours. Crown Jewel Jell-O serves 16 beautifully...and tastes every bit as delightful as it looks. 

This recipe may be a little time consuming because of having to wait for all the jello to firm up. I guess us 1950's housewives have plenty to do during the wait. Wink.

Dole Mint Diamond Dream!





Very simple and and most likely requires a double boiler that every modern house wife of the 1950's had. 

Recipe

1 egg white beaten with 1/3 cup of Mint Jelly over hot water until fluffy. 

Fold in drained Dole Fruit Cocktail. 

Chill and Garnish 

Diamond sprinkle with silver decorettes. 

I believe this is for one serving. 

I will be making dessert number one and I will update with my version. I'm so excited to have a wonderful husband to treat on valentines day with this vintage 50's dessert recipe.  


Thanks for reading! Happy Housewifing!!












No comments:

Post a Comment